Braxton Gibson

Engineering Futures Scholar

To say that Engineering Futures Scholar, Braxton Gibson, made the most, academically, of his first year at ASU would be an understatement. Gibson hit the ground running, taking 17 credit hours his first semester and 18 the next, pursuing a degree in aerospace engineering.

“Right now, my discipline is aeronautics, but I’m thinking of switching into astronautics this semester,” he said. “It just seemed like the most fun of all the engineering, and it seems like the one that has the most potential for growth.”

He said the path for the two disciplines are very similar, but believes astronautics will allow him more opportunities to get involved in the space programs of larger companies such as Boeing, Honeywell or SpaceX after he graduates.

“I also think that space travel is going to take off, so I feel like engineers who are well-versed in the astronautics discipline are going to be very valuable.”

Gibson’s reason for taking on so many classes last year was to clear the bulk of his coursework off his plate and to play toward his strengths.

“I always tend to do better when I’m busier,” he said. “But I overestimated how difficult some of the classes would be, and I underestimated how much time I’d actually have.”

This fall, he will be starting his second year at the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering with a lighter workload and the intent of getting involved in a variety of clubs and organizations.

“Air Devils, that’s where I’m going to set my sights.”

Air Devils is a student organization at ASU dedicated to the study and design of aircraft.

In whatever free time he can manage outside of school, work and clubs, Gibson enjoys playing video games, working out and watching sports.

“I would say that the most difficult things for me last year was getting involved in clubs and organizations,” he said. “But I would recommend that people try to get involved early, maybe find one club that they like, and they can focus on that one. That way, they have a sense of camaraderie.”

Gibson is looking forward to a fresh start in August- the chance to take advantage of different opportunities.

By Summer Sorg, Science and Technology Writer, Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering
July 29, 2019