Bryson Gregory

Engineering Futures Scholar

Engineering Futures scholar, Bryson Gregory, grew up with a passion for video games and problem solving, which ultimately led him to his current major at ASU’s Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering: Computer Science, with a focus in software engineering.

“I knew I could apply it and make some real changes,” Gregory said of his reasoning behind choosing that path. His brother and grandmother are diabetics, so he’s seen first-hand how technology has helped them.

“So I could jump into that and help create the next thing that makes their life better,” he said. Or I could just create whatever I want and just do basically anything, he added, remarking on the flexibility of the degree.

In his first year, Gregory got involved in the chess club and became an officer, in addition to joining the Software Developers Association (SoDA) as a member. He hopes to continue with those clubs in the Fall and will begin serving as the chess club’s treasurer.

Outside of school, Gregory further practices his life-long love of chess and holds a part-time job as a chess coach at a small business.

His second year,  he is interested in exploring the other clubs and activities ASU has to offer, as well as potentially starting a research project, and pursuing personal projects, like teaching himself the programming language, Python.

He believes in the importance of branching out, especially at the start of his college career. “If there’s something that comes up I want to do- because I’m sure I’ve definitely not heard anywhere close to all the opportunities- then I’ll probably take it up.”

He said the best advice he could give is that “being scared is okay. Just go with it, run with it. If Something sounds interesting, give it a try. Most of the time you’re not super committed to anything, especially early on, even your major can change.”

Now that he’s gotten used to the pace of college, Gregory looks forward to what his second year at ASU holds.

“My classes are going to get harder, but they’ll get a lot more interesting. Because we can start going deeper into like programming … like actually making things and seeing really cool results … I’m super excited for that.”

By Summer Sorg, Science and Technology Writer, Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering
July 31, 2019