Kyrese Lands

Engineering Futures Scholar

Engineering Futures scholar, Kyrese Lands, has always been motivated to protect people from injustice. He initially wanted to become a lawyer.

“My main objective was to somehow protect people from injustice,” Lands said.  “However, over time, I found that this profession was not suited for me, so when my friends in high school started to inform me about the uses of technological professions, I found that cyber security would allow me to do what I want to do.”

Last year, Lands declared a Computer Science major at the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and now, going into his second year at ASU this Fall, he will be taking more classes relating to his focus on cybersecurity.

During his first year at ASU, Lands was involved with the Department of Information Systems Club (DISC) as well as the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE).

He said Professor and Assistant Dean of Engineering Education at ASU, Tirupalavanam Ganesh, really gave him the support he needed that year.

“He acted as a foothold of my freshman year, coming to my aid during a time that was very confusing and helping me adjust to a new environment.”

Each semester, Lands learned the value of reaching out and making connections. He said he’d advise other engineering students to not be afraid to ask for help when things get difficult.

“There are a lot of people who will struggle just as much or even more than you, If you have trouble understanding content, just know there are a plethora of people out there willing to help.”

Moving into his second year, Lands plans to get more actively involved in clubs, potentially even becoming the face of one of them at some point.

By Summer Sorg, Science and Technology Writer, Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering
August 28, 2019