Moses Kang

Engineering Futures Scholar

Engineering futures scholar, Moses Kang, began his first year of ASU in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering computer science program last year. As the year progressed, so did his interest and involvement in the subject he was pursuing. “I don’t regret my decision,” Kang said.

Moving from Chandler, Arizona, he chose ASU for its large student body. “By having a large population, I am able to meet more people and create and involve myself in a larger network of students,” Kang said. This large network is particularly essential in engineering degrees, as they demand a lot of collaboration between students, peers and faculty.

Kang is currently involved in the Asian/Asian Pacific American Student Coalition (AAPASC) and attends meetings with ASU’s Software Developers Association (SoDA). He said his biggest challenge in his first year of engineering at ASU was finding the balance between school and social life. To overcome that, he began using an agenda and practicing time management.

Ironically, it was the connection, rather than the division, between his school and social life that encouraged him to get more involved.

“The most impactful people to me during my time at ASU were my friends. If it wasn’t for them, I would have a hard time finding clubs and time to go out more,” Kang said.

In the Fall, Kang is most looking forward to meeting even more people and starting his minor in Film and Media Production, an additional passion of his, as he loves to make and edit videos in his spare time.

If he were to offer any advice to other engineering students it would be to “Make friends, involve yourself and don’t be afraid to do anything wild (make it reasonable though).”

By Summer Sorg, Science and Technology Writer, Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering
July 11, 2019